Billainaire: 24 billaine and counting...

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Uncle Chew and his "Cili Padi"

When I was little, well actually even when I wasn't very little, our neighbour Uncle Chew used to call me Cili Padi, which translates to those little red chilli peppers. I dont exactly know why, maybe I was such a feisty lil brat. Tonight, as promised, I had a little house-warming dinner at my place with what little friends I had in Sydney. Spent the day before taking the train to Eastwood, 4 train stops away from Rhodes, where there are alot of asian chinese shops. Was not my day cos I had to brave the very rare torrential rain in my measly 'el-cheapo' 3 dollar umbrella whilst carrying a sackful of noodles, tofu and such. Also didnt expect my golden moon-man shoes to have miniscule decorative holes in them!! Needless to say, I sploshed my way around in wet socks all the way home.

On the menu for tonight, Mee Jawa, my very favorite dish well made by granny. Got her recipe and everything went fine, although i couldnt find Chilli boh so i had to blend my own fresh chillies. In the end, the soup I made was wayyyy too spicy, I almost killed my friends! Was too busy laughing and feeling bad I forgot to take pictures of they bewildered gobsmacked faces. To me, I give it an honest 60% (which is a bad grade for ms. i-want-to-be-perfect) but beggars cant be choosers and despite the whopping hotness, i still enjoyed my first attempt at mee jawa.

Now, got lots of leftovers for the rest of this weekend, kick back, and sip on some leftover alcohol. ahhhh......

1 comment:

Lynn Ooi said...

Wow, brave attempt to cook mee Jawa. Please share recipee pls. Yumm...